The creature has not been created randomly. There are some reasons that make it look this way.
The most important thing was to respect the evolution process. The creature needed to be prepared to look competed in every state of the game.
We can’t have a jumping torso without looking extremely strange and disgusting. Even without arms, legs, or head… the creature must look like a living being, without mutilated aspect.
That gave us two patrons:
- Its different limbs shall attach directly to the main body.
- The main body needed to be a creture by itself.
But… why does it have to be a ball?
Some gameplay reasons were:
- As a ball, it doesn’t need any limbs to displace itself. It can roll.
- It’s ball aspect allows us to create interesting gameplay mechanics, such as creating a “pachinko” looking level, use the creature as a cannonball, or use the inertia to create difficult challenges.
And some design reasons were:
- Soft shapes use to be related with goodness and peace; and sharp shapes with danger. This is a common psychologic reaction that is not related with the culture or the education. Just as an example… there was an experiment about that. Just try to put name to these two shapes. One of them is called “Takete” and the other one “Maluma”.
If you called “maluma” the one on the left… congratulations! That was correct! curiously, almost everyone calls them this way. Even when they are completely abstract and they have no meaning at all.
Well, I was interested on the creature to look completely inoffensive, lovely and cute. This is a complete contrast with the creature described on the legend… It’s supposed to be powerful, evil and chaotic… but since you start playing, you are nothing but the smoothest, cutest and pacifist geometric form ever: a sphere. Funny paradox.
- The second reason was to fight with the common WOEAI phenomenon (Where On Earth Am I??). This strange syndrome affects lots of casual gamers, and it’s even worst if they play on multiplayer games. They get really stressed because it’s impossible to discern which of the moving forms of the screen represents them. If you are a casual gamer or you know what I’m talking about… fear not! The creature game is completely WOEAI-proof! The circle is a form that automatically caught our attention. The creature is a circle with two circles as eyes, with two circles as pupils. Also, the eyes are self-iluminated, which means that they always will be visible, even in the darkest areas.